How to find the perfect Christmas gift for your loved ones
A wise man once said that to give is better than to receive. Although I really love receiving gifts, I must agree that giving someone a great gift and seeing a smile on their face really gives me a feeling of accomplishment. My husband often says that I am the gift guru. If any of that is true, then today is your lucky day, because I will be sharing my top tips and tricks for finding the perfect Christmas gift. ‘Tis the season to be jolly and nothing makes a person jollier than a great gift, so let’s get to it!
Practical gifts that keep giving
My husband is the king of giving practical gifts, he is ofcourse a very practical person. The great thing about giving away something that is practical is that it’s a useful gift, something that the person will continue to use long after the christmas season is over. Think about an object that the person needs or is missing. And no, I don’t mean a bar of soap or anything of the kind. When I started blogging, Sharif gave me a book on how to blog for my birthday. That is something that is and will continue to be useful to me.
The gifts are better if you listen closely
If the person you are getting a gift for is a chatterbox like myself, chances are they will probably hint at or mention what they would like or need. So when you are hanging out with your friends listen closely, they might let something slip and give you a shot at the BEST christmas gift! (Pro tip: For those of you who are terrible listeners or simply too lazy, ask the person if they have a wish-list)
Look for hobbies and interests
People with hobbies and interest are the easiest to give gifts to (unless they have very expensive taste). My husband, for example, is a gadgets guy. But gadgets and electronics can be expensive and may not always fit within my budget. Luckily for me, he also has other interests. He is fascinated with maps, globes and compasses (now that's something I can afford). Me on the other hand, I’m more into fashion and make-up. The point is that you can never go wrong with something the person likes and is interested in.
How about something thoughtful
Thoughtful or personal gifts can bring tears to your eyes. They show us that the other person cares and they went out of their way to make us happy. Try recreating an old childhood photo, making a special song/video, or making something yourself. Thoughtful gifts require creativity and time, that’s what makes them so special. The person receiving the gifts can appreciate it because a lot of love went into creating something that would mean alot to them.
Think out of the box (literally)
As much as I love a beautifully wrapped gift, some people just don’t care much for material things. These are the hardest gifts to come up with and although they may be a bit more challenging, it’s a great moment to think out of the box. Try planning a trip (if you’re on a bigger budget), buy concert tickets or take the person out to dinner. There’s plenty you can do and give that doesn’t require wrapping paper or ribbons. (Pro tip: You can even donate to a charity of your friend or family’s choosing. After all, it's the season of giving)
In a time crunch
If you are a major procrastinator, like most people are, then you are probably too late to order that cute gift you saw online. When time is not on your side, your best bet is to pick something out that is easy but still looks like you tried. There are plenty of stores that sell gift boxes (Rituals, Douglas, Lush), they even come nicely wrapped and packaged. (Pro tip: My golden rule is to only get a gift card as a last resort or if the person expresses wanting one, because they can sometimes feel a bit impersonal)
If you’re looking to add a special touch to your already awesome gift, then here’s how you do it:
Add a card
Kind words are like honey - sweet to the soul and healthy for the body. So choose your words wisely, add a poem or a funny and clever description of your gift. This will give your gift that personal touch it needs.
Presentation is key
You shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, but let’s be honest, we all do. Think of how you can showcase your gift in the most attractive way possible. Put it in a decorative box or a gift bag. Wrap it nicely and add a bow. If you yourself are not that great at gift-wrapping, find a store that is willing to wrap your gift nicely for you. After all, 27% of the suspense and excitement comes from unwrapping a beautiful gift the other 73% comes from enjoying the gift itself (totally making these numbers up btw, but you get the idea).
I hope these tips are helpful to you. Good luck finding the perfect Christmas gifts for your loved ones!
Editor: Joshua Sakoetoe Photography: Sharif Jacobino